ant-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Smith <>
Subject Re: Threaded Ant?
Date Thu, 02 Mar 2000 03:22:21 GMT
William Uther wrote:
> Hmm.  I must admit to being confused as to why the ordering constraint is
> there.  If you have a strict ordering constraint then you could enforce it
> with a dependancy.  No target would be executed before the targets it
> depends upon.  I would prefer to default to parallel.

I agree that if you have an ordering constraint you would use an explicit
dependency.  But I am still left wondering: Why do you want/need to run
things in parallel right now?  What do you gain?

Better usage of a multi-processor system?  In that case, why not run Ant in
two different shells with two different build files (or one build file and
two different targets).  That'll also make your life easier when a build
fails -- you won't have to figure out which log messages went with which
task.  It also leaves Ant "simple" and easy to use.

Making Ant multithreaded seems like it's increasing the complexity too much
too fast.  At this point,  I see no compelling reason to add in something
like this. How about we solve one problem at a time...  Seems like there are
three or four different threads going on right now, and they all overlap to
some degree.

View raw message