ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <jofer...@us.oracle.com>
Subject Re: Threaded Ant?
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 23:15:42 GMT

William Uther wrote:

> -- costin@eng.sun.com wrote:
>
> > Problems with "variables"
> >
> > - order of execution. You may run 2 targets in paralel (
> > it's a reasonable thing - if you have a multiporcessor for example). In
> > this case you need complex rules for variables.
>
> Fair enough.  With threads this would not be hard to implement.  I assume
> this would mean that the current ordering constraint on dependancies would
> be removed:
>
> From the Ant docs:
> > Ant tries to execute the targets in the depends attribute in the order
> > they appear (from left to right). Keep in mind that it is possible that a
> > target can get executed earlier when an earlier target depends on it...
>
> That constraint currently limits Ant to being serial, doesn't it?

You probably would need to add a property indicating that the target
dependencies can be executed in parallel, or something like that.

> If I were to implement this change, would someone check it in for me?  Or
> would it just be another difference between my Ant and the normal Ant that
> makes merging hard?
>
> later,
>
> \x/ill       :-}

 Jose Alberto Fernandez               500 Oracle Parkway, M/S 9op4
 Development Manager                  Redwood Shores, CA 94065
 ORACLE Corp.                         Phone: (650) 506-8830
 Java Products Group                  Fax: (650) 506-7303
 Languages & Obj-Relational Tech      Email: jofernan@us.oracle.com