ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ANT semantics and power
Date Wed, 01 Mar 2000 02:18:41 GMT
James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> > Init is running
> > main is running
> > null
> > I've been inited
>
> Actually -- I'd expect that neither case is correct. My feeling is that
> properties defined in a target should be target local.

I was thinking the exact same thing: targets should "inherit" the
properties of the dependent targets, but should overwrite them.... much
like any good OO paradigm.

> > Another possible solution is to move all property setting out of the
> > targets.  This removes the expectation that it will be executed in 'target
> > order'.  I gather from one of the recent posts that this is the way things
> > once were and this might explain the current strange semantics.
>
> Actually I beleive so. In fact my feeling is that properties are the
> property of the project and do not belong, nor should be allowed, in
> targets.

I don't know about that but I do see a difference between "properties
setting tasks" and "executing tasks". They should have different
interfaces and different places.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.