ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Optional taskdefs and providing additional params to Taskdefs
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:07:55 GMT
Most likely so... I wanted to stay away from that, but it seems that there
needs to be a local.taskdef.location property....

.duncan

----- Original Message -----
From: David Bullock
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Sent: Monday, March 13, 2000 1:06 AM
Subject: Re: Optional taskdefs and providing additional params to Taskdefs

IMHO, ANT is going to need a (custom?) ClassLoader, and the extra Task
classes should be loadable into a build.xml-configurable 'extension' URL.
Valid candidates for Tasks will of course implement a tag interface.  It
will need this anyway later on in ANT's life when it starts to do
distributed builds on multiple machines (so that the AntBuildController can
divvy out tasks acording to any platform-specific constraints.  :-)
$0.02,
David.

"Kevin A. Burton" wrote:
Two things:
- We need to agree on a way to except optional taskdefs like the recent
xslt task.
I propose we place them in a org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.optional
package.  We really need to keep everything together in one place.
Thoughts?  I would really like to get this straightened out.
- We need to provide additional information to Taskdefs by enhancing the
interface to include a
public void setExtendedParameters( DocumentFragment df );
public DocumentFragment getExtendedParameters();
in org.apache.tools.ant.Task
Why?  The reason is that not all information about a task can be given
with just attributes.  Within the XSLT task I want to pass some
parameters to the XSLT engine (Xalan) and I can't do this without an
extensible mechanism.  The parameter is defined within the stylesheet
and not within the XSLT task so I can't just have hard-coded attributes
here.
What I want to do is this:
<xslt ...>
    <parameter name="test1" value="test1"/>
    <parameter name="test2" value="test2"/>
    <!--
    This would work for anything the user puts here.. only certain
elements would make sense
    to the Task though.
    -->
</xslt>
The task would then parse these parameters and set them when I
initialize Xalan.  The stylesheet would then get the parameters and
continue about it's merry way :)
Thoughts?
Kevin
--
Kevin A Burton (burton@apache.org)
http://relativity.yi.org

"It's no use saying 'We are doing our best.'  You
have got to succeed in doing what's necessary."
    ...Winston Churchill

LISAcorp
http://www.lisa.com.au/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866