ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: conditional build
Date Tue, 14 Mar 2000 18:03:17 GMT
> I'd like to throw my two cents in about the language issue, if I may.  I
> agree that you don't want Ant to become a general purpose programming
> language or anywhere near as complex and impenetrable as make (see
> footnote).  However, I think it is also important not to be overly
> dogmatic about keeping all programming functionality out of Ant.

I want to clarify that I'm not dogmatic about keeping functionality out of
Ant, I'm dogmatic about keeping it out of the build file itself. Note that
dynamic taskdef'ing allows any functionality implemented as Java class files
to be plugged in. One of the things that I'd like to figure out how to do is
make this pick up of non core taskdefs easier to do. Also note that I have
no problem with calling out to scripts. And maybe the taskdef that calls out
to a script exposes the project properties list somehow which would have
side effects.

But the XML itself shouldn't be programmtic.

I don't want to go around for another few weeks round of discorse on what it
means to say that or nit pick on the exact definition of each and every
word. Instead, I'm pulling together a requirements document for Ant.NG. I'll
post it as soon as it's in a state to be posted. I had promised it by the
time I got back to California from ApacheCON -- and I just might hit that as
I played hookey in Chicago and am getting back into the bay area on Tuesday
eve.

.duncan