ant-dev mailing list archives

From cos...@eng.sun.com
Subject Proposal: XML output from ant tasks
Date Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:54:54 GMT
Hi,

Right now ant has a very nice file format and works great, but if you
build a large project you'll probably get a lot of messages - some of them
are warnings ( deprecated methods ), some are important info ( time to
build, non-critical failures ).

Also, with conditional compilation we will have some very important
messages describing what was actualy build into the dist.

The problem is that it takes time to extract the information, and it is
hard to automate it.

One possible solution is ( guess what? ) xml. If we convert all logs to
display well-formed XML it will be easy to post-process the results
and even have a nice format.

The price is not big - the output will still be readable.  It can be an
incremental job, with log() changed to wrap everything in a generic
<log:ant > tag with the source and level, and then we can add format to
the most important messages ( like deprecations, not-fatal warnings,
conditional compilations, etc).

What do you think?

Costin