ant-dev mailing list archives

From William Campbell <wcampb...@nvision.co.uk>
Subject RE: Changing Compiler
Date Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:34:50 GMT
I went through some issues relating to using jikes with ant yesterday and
here are the issues I came up across. (Since I am new to all of java, ant
and jikes if I make any obvious mistakes hopefully someobody more
knowledegable on this list will correct me!)

1) You need a more recent version of ant than that in the current tomcat 3.0
release source tar-ball dated 15 Dec on jakarta.apache.org.
    The code contained in this release doesn't like it does anything more
than oprint out
"Performing a Jikes COmpile" when you try and do a jikes compile.
    The version of ant in the 3.1 milestone 1 drop dated 23 Jan seems to
have much more jikes-related functionality in it.

2) I changed the catch block in the compile method of Jikes.java to at least
print out a message if Jikes can't be executed.

3) I couldn't see any way of passing the path to the jikes compiler to ant
(maybe I was missing something?) so I made a small change to Jikes.java to
pick this up from a system property. (I don't believe the Java exec() method
that is used to call jikes looks at the PATH variable so I don't think
setting this would help).

4) On the project I am working on we are using an old version of Jikes
(0.47). This version doesn't understand the -Xstdout option and apparently
sends all its output to stdout anyway - so I removed the -Xstdout option
from Javac.java.

After I had dealt with those issues I could use ant to compile java sources
using jikes.

Cheers,

William