ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: discussion: build file format
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2000 15:38:33 GMT

Pier (scared) wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >
> > Anyway, do you realize how incredibly more complex Ant would become if
> > we make this step?
>
> I love ant because it's simple... The only thing I wouldn't see to
> happen is to get, at the end, an ANT that is more complicated than a
> Makefile...

Perhaps I misinterpreted Stefano's remarks.

What I see as motivating this discussion is a desire to make the Ant syntax
simpler in cases where it is too cumbersome today, and leaving the
remainder as is.  Achieving this may come at the cost of making the
internal implementation more complex.  This would be the right tradeoff,
IMHO.

If however, Stefano meant that this would make the syntax more difficult to
learn and use, then I agree that we should stop right here.

- Sam Ruby