ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject Re: Shell portability
Date Tue, 08 Feb 2000 23:52:29 GMT

Ludovic wrote:

> Well, Windows 95/98 (crap, yes i know) isn't working anymore with ant,
the new
> fix for using n  arguments works only on NT...

Win9X may be crap, but it is all a lot of people have, so it is very
important crap.

For a while, I tried individual commands on my kids PC, but when I found
out that there wasn't anything I could do portably between Win9X and WinNT
in a shell script which will solve the problem, I tried other approaches.
When it finally dawned on me that while I have yet to figure a way around
having an antRun shell script on Unix, there doesn't seem to be a need for
one on Windows.  Actually, at that point, I was so elated that I guess I
jumped to fast at the fix and didn't go back and test my assumption on
Win9X.

So, what problem are you having?  If I have to, I will test for individual
levels of the Windows OS.  My feeling is that all the platform uglyness
belongs inside of the Exec task - and that subclasses and end users alike
should not have to worry about any of this.

- Sam Ruby