ant-dev mailing list archives

From ru...@us.ibm.com
Subject RE: cvs commit: jakarta-ant build.xml
Date Thu, 03 Feb 2000 11:51:08 GMT

Conor wrote:
>I must admit I actually liked the dist directory where it was. It seems
>strange to me to have the dist directory going "out" of the project's
>directory structure (via ../). Seems like a violation of scoping
principles
>:-) The same really applies to the tomcat and watchdog builds. I would
like
>to see those built in their own areas too. If required a top level jakarta
>build.xml file used to build all three and hoist the build/dist stuff into
>the common directory would be good IMHO. What do you think?

I must admit that I'm of a mixed opinion.  On one hand, I agree with your
"violation of scoping principles".  On the other hand, I also find
appealing the way in which tomcat keeps its original CVS structure "pure"
with build and dist directories being placed "out of scope".  What I don't
like is every project placing dist in a different place.

Note: in this patch, I made a mistake.  I misunderstood the purpose of the
extra jar that Stefano created for ant.  It is not a set of classes, but
rather a packaged up distribution.  I have a moral objection to naming such
things jars, so I am thinking of adding back in the version string, and
changing the task used to be zip instead of jar.  Thoughts?

- Sam Ruby