ant-dev mailing list archives

From William Uther <will+...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: ANT semantics and power
Date Tue, 29 Feb 2000 20:56:04 GMT
--On Mon, Feb 28, 2000 4:52 PM -0800 James Duncan Davidson
<james.davidson@eng.sun.com> wrote:

> Actually -- I'd expect that neither case is correct. My feeling is that
> properties defined in a target should be target local.
[snip]
> Actually I beleive so. In fact my feeling is that properties are the
> property of the project and do not belong, nor should be allowed, in
> targets.

fair enough :).  Both are perfectly reasonable.  Neither is what we have :).

> Nope. I don't want the Ant syntax to be complicated. Really, I don't care
> if it matches whatever definitions of words.. I want it to be simple.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what you mean by 'simple'.  There are a
number of different possible meanings, some of which are mutually
incompatible:

 - The syntax should be simple
 - The semantics should be simple
 - The language should be weak (e.g. not turing complete)
 - The language should be human readable without having to refer to a manual
 - It should be simple to put logic in the build file :)
 - It should be simple to define a new Task
 - It should be simple to implement the core Ant engine

>> I would like to be able to handle different operating systems.  Java is
> not
>> completely cross-platform, although it is close.  Being able to specify
>> those last few bits in a build-file is very useful.
>
> My thoughts on this for an exec task were along the lines of
>
> <exec platform="Mac OS" command="foo" args="arg,arg,1">

Um, what does 'exec' mean on a system without a command line?  :)  Apple
has a whole tech-note on that one: "The care and feeding of Runtime.exec()"
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn1168.html>.

I was wanting to be able to swtich the Ant tasks based on the platform, not
to call out to some, possibly non-existant, commandline system.

> I'm not quite sure where you are picking up a machine processing bias
> here. My aim is to keep things simple.

Ahh, I think I must have got that from Costin:
>> I disagree - it will make the life easier for ant-programmers and allow
>> more logic. For XML writer ( or a GUI tool that will build the xml ) the
>> life will be _very_ hard, instead of a simple tool they will have a
>> programming language.

later,

\x/ill          :-}