ant-dev mailing list archives

From Will Uther <wi...@cs.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: Copying meta-info on a mac (and small bug fix)
Date Mon, 21 Feb 2000 22:58:42 GMT
Hi,
  Thankyou very much for the reply.  It's nice to know someone is alive :).

--On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 7:00 PM +0100 Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>
wrote:

[snip new copy code]

> I don't want to have dependencies on stuff like that.
>
> Can't you use reflection to instance the classes?

Ok.  I'll rewrite it with reflection and repost it.  Given that the other
would compile and run fine on all platforms I didn't bother before.

> Anyway, isn't this a mac JDK bug?

No.  The Mac Java runtime uses the standard Java API to access the data
forks of files and their filenames - just like it should.  The problem is
that Macs have more info in their files than that.

I guess you could say it is a bug in Java (and UNIX)'s impoverished concept
of a file.  Almost every OS I know of has meta-info with files (Apple II
DOS 3.3, Apple II ProDOS, Apple IIGS GSOS, AmigaDOS, Microsoft Windows NT
(some versions), BeOS).  Java provides no standard way to access it.

I guess that they could also have provided a general copyTo() method the
same way they made a renameTo() method...  anyway.

later,

\x/ill          :-}