ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Bullock <dbull...@lisa.com.au>
Subject Re: What flavour of scripting?
Date Tue, 29 Feb 2000 05:46:21 GMT
Perhaps jamming it all into one build configuration file is the issue.  XML is
a natural candidate for building a Dependency Markup Language.  But building a
software project is not all dependency management (hence the 'actions' concept
of Ant).  The actions to take in response to dependency triggers could probably
be best specified in some kind of scripting language.  (On the topic of "which
scripting language?", JPython has a natural mapping to Java OO programming, but
it is still another language to learn(!))

What about a build.dml file to specify the dependencies, and another file
(build.jp ?) to describe what to do about the dependencies.  I'm new to
unixland, and haven't ever made my own Makefile, but isn't the idea that you
specify the dependencies (if x.java has changed, then rebuild xyz.jar ... not
to mention the interdependencies between classes, packages etc.)?  The current
task metaphor of Ant seems to promote a more procedural, switching kind of
approach to building a project.  Which is probably not what we want.

Regards,
David.

PS

> > In the theory that it is never too late, let's take the opportunity now to
>
> I assume this question was along the lines of: What is the best way to add
> logic/scripting to Ant?

Stefano's original question was:
----------------begin quote-------
ant is a great tool, but it's based on make design patterns. Read:
targets and tasks.

Now, in Cocoon, I would like to have a target executed if and only if a
particular condition is true.

This condition might well be:

 - a property set (example: do a snapshot or a release distribution)
 - the existance of a class in the classpath (example: a pluggable
module requires JNDI but the JNDI classes are not found)
 - time
 - operating system

Question: how do we do this?

Constrain: I need this done _soon_ in order to build the new Cocoon
distribution and I'm volunteering to write any required changes once we
agree on _how_ a feature like this should be done.

comments?
----------------end quote----------

--
David Bullock
Project Leader

"It's no use saying 'We are doing our best.'  You
have got to succeed in doing what's necessary."
    ...Winston Churchill

LISAcorp
http://www.lisa.com.au/

Adelaide                  Sydney
38 Greenhill Rd           Level 3, 228 Pitt Street
Wayville S.A. 5034        Sydney NSW 2000

PH  +61 8 8272 1555       PH  +61 2 9283 0877
FAX +61 8 8271 1199       FAX +61 2 9283 0866