ant-dev mailing list archives

From Pierpaolo Fumagalli <p...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib xml.jar
Date Sun, 27 Feb 2000 18:55:55 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Rajiv Mordani wrote:
> >
> > Now that we have JAXP out why not have ant use that. Then people can use
> > whichever parser they want.. I am willing to do that.. Pier has already
> > implemented it for xerces...
>
> >From http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/earlyAccess/xml/readme.html:
>
>    Please read the License Agreement that applies to this software.
>    Commercial use of this software is currently not permitted. The APIs are
>    experimental and subject to change.
>
> The problem with ProjectX is that it isn't open source.  Replacing it with
> something else that isn't open source (even if it allows us to plug in
> other open source projects) doesn't solve the problem.
>
> What I would suggest is that we replace xml.jar with one based on a
> suitable subset of xerces.jar.  At the same time we replace the logic in
> org.apache.tools.ant.Parser which currently looks for a properties file to
> attempt to dynamically load JAXP.  If that is not found, we default to
> xerces.
>
> At the moment, Tomcat depends on the same xml.jar, so these changes need to
> be coordinated across the two projects.

XERCES include a full free and open-source "do what you want"
implementation of the JAXP classes, (the javax.xml.parsers package), so,
you can just plug it in your classpath and it'll work.
If someone wants to use ProjectX, then, he just need to replace the JAR,
and the thing will be done automagically...

	Pier