ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <>
Subject Re: Tasks containing other tasks (was: Subtasks within tasks)
Date Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:22:03 GMT
Pierpaolo Fumagalli wrote:
> James Duncan Davidson wrote:
> >
> > The problem that I have with this is that it introduces logic into the
> > antfile. It was an explicit design goal of mine when I first wrote ant for
> > the files to be totally declaritive and *all* logic occurs in the task. If
> > you want to write specialized logic, you can -- it's easy enough to add
> > tasks via the <taskdef...> -- now, if the group wants to change course on
> > that, that's something I can't control, but I won't welcome it.
> I wouldn't welcome them either... The lack of programmable project logic
> is, imvho, the REAL power of Ant, making its buildfiles easy to
> understand, debug, and write. Adding those components will, in the long
> term, transform ANT into an elephANT :)
> > This means that I would prefer not to see anything like an if/then/else,
> > for, or switch implemented in this fashion. If you want to build logic, do
> > it in Java. If you want to describe the project, do it in XML.
> Perfectly agreed... Otherwise we'll come up with just another XMLized
> version of MAKE, at the end...

Ant is _NOT_ and never should be make4j or something like that.

Make, IMVHO, comes from _years_ of thinking "the more powerful the
better". This is what I've been naming "the Flexibility Syndrome".

I loved Ant because it allows you to do whatever you want but with
_clear_ constraints.

I could tell it was created by James because I love his way of reasoning
which matches mine very much: symmetry is not, alone, a good reason to
implement something.

So, let's put an end on this and remove the logic from the build files.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.