ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Copying meta-info on a mac (and small bug fix)
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 12:02:46 GMT
Will Uther wrote:

> Hi,
>   Thankyou very much for the reply.  It's nice to know someone is alive :).

sometimes devs don't have all the free time they'd like to :(

> --On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 7:00 PM +0100 Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
> [snip new copy code]
>
> > I don't want to have dependencies on stuff like that.
> >
> > Can't you use reflection to instance the classes?
>
> Ok.  I'll rewrite it with reflection and repost it.  Given that the other
> would compile and run fine on all platforms I didn't bother before.

As a standard design pattern and development guideline, ant should not
depend on packages for compilation that are platform dependent. Say I
want to have a task that sets the windows registry, I use reflection.
Say I want a task for compilation dependencies that uses another
packages and that is redistributable, then yes, it's fine for me...
we'll make the build.xml file work around its absence, if required.

(BTW, have you guys looked at javadep?)

> > Anyway, isn't this a mac JDK bug?
>
> No.  The Mac Java runtime uses the standard Java API to access the data
> forks of files and their filenames - just like it should.  The problem is
> that Macs have more info in their files than that.
>
> I guess you could say it is a bug in Java (and UNIX)'s impoverished concept
> of a file.  Almost every OS I know of has meta-info with files (Apple II
> DOS 3.3, Apple II ProDOS, Apple IIGS GSOS, AmigaDOS, Microsoft Windows NT
> (some versions), BeOS).  Java provides no standard way to access it.

Well, Java is a common denominator between platform. You don't achieve
portability if some API are not possible to be implemented in some
operating systems.... but I see your point and I agree that when we can
we should provide all possible tools.

> I guess that they could also have provided a general copyTo() method the
> same way they made a renameTo() method...  anyway.
>
> later,
>
> \x/ill          :-}

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.