ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant build.xml
Date Wed, 09 Feb 2000 02:05:54 GMT

> Note: in this patch, I made a mistake.  I misunderstood the purpose of the
> extra jar that Stefano created for ant.  It is not a set of classes, but
> rather a packaged up distribution.  I have a moral objection to naming such
> things jars, so I am thinking of adding back in the version string, and
> changing the task used to be zip instead of jar.  Thoughts?

I'm in agreement. Distributions should always be zip'd  -- JAR means
that the zip file contains classes that can be loaded by a VM and run --
and that on systems with associations, a double click on the jar looks
for a manifest entry and starts up a Java VM with a specified main
class. Distro's do not fall in this catagory unless it's a self
unpacking beast....

.duncan

--
James Davidson                                     duncan@eng.sun.com
Java + XML / Portable Code + Portable Data                 !try; do()