ant-dev mailing list archives

From Ludovic Claude ...@websitewatchers.com>
Subject Re: Properties and subprojects
Date Tue, 01 Feb 2000 11:06:38 GMT

rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Ludovic Claude wrote:
> >
> > I added a patch to Ant.java, so now you have a property
> > called properties where
> > you can
> > explicitely give the list of properties to use from the
> > parent project.
>
> I see this the other way around.  A subproject, in general, should not be
> aware of the parent project, or even if there is a parent project.
>
> If there is need for explicit control, it is by the parent in deciding
> which properties are meant as overrides and which are accidental
> collisions.
>
> Arnout wrote:
> >
> > Personally I like the "namespacing" approach better.
>
> Me too.
>
> - Sam Ruby

Sorry for my ambiguous explanation, but it is indeed the parent project that
decide which properties
to override in the subproject. You write your task like  this:

<ant antfile="build-subproject.xml" dir="." target="jar"
properties="compiler,classpath" />

This is designed as a quick fix and an elegant alternative to the 'override
all properties' which was
the default behavior. Namespace are great, but you need a way to control them
and use them
easily. In Java, you have the package keyword, some conventions like the
reverse domain name
and the compiler to enforce those rules properly.

If I have time, I will give later this week a proposal about how I would like
ant to use properties
and subprojects.

Ludovic Claude.