ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: discussion: build file format
Date Tue, 22 Feb 2000 17:49:41 GMT
> I agree. The use of project -> target -> task reflects a fault in the
> overall design: the use of attributes-only DTDs has intrisic problems.

It was easy at the time. It was never intended to be a forever cannonical
type file format. :)

> For Ant as it stands today, the use of XML is just functional but
> nothing really important from an application perspective: you could have
> a bunch of flat files that do the same job.

Yep. And as far as I'm concerned that's the way it should be. Serialized
files would be acceptable to except for the fact that 1) they aren't text
editable and 2) they don't show hierarchy very well.

.duncan