ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: ANT semantics and power
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2000 23:51:06 GMT
> If properties are intended to be constants, then properties should not be
> tasks, nor should their definitions be allowed to be nested inside of
> targets.  If this is the case, then I'll go back and undo my changes of
> this morning to the various build.xml files and add logic to Ant to
enforce
> this.  Similar arguments could be made for Available, Filter, and Tstamp.
>
> Alternatively, I gather that the collective expectations are that
> properties *are* in fact a task, and this implies that their values will
> change at runtime.

The original design was that properties were fixed at the project level and
not something that is scoped at any finer a grain. Now, properties should be
able to be overriden at runtime so that the user can fine tune the build by
using command line args. This is the only change at Runtime I'd like to see.

.duncan