ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: XML output from ant tasks
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2000 23:36:02 GMT
> First, everything that is sent to the console should also go into to the
> log.  (The converse is definately not true).

Yes, the converse is not true, but I don't think it's a requirement that
everything on the console should go into the log. I think it's also
perfectly reasonable to approach this from the standpoint that there are 2
distinct methods that send information to the user, one instantaniously, one
delayed. If the task wants to put the same information in both, it can call
both methods.

I'm not one way or the other, but I don't see a hard dependancy unless it's
agreed to do so.

> Second, I'd like to request that logXml be able to provide some support
for
> nested content

This gets into a higher level issue. Does logXML take a String which happens
to be an XML fragment, or something else. Unfortunatly, there's no really
generic tree object like thing that can swap out to XML easily at this point
unless you depend on a very specific parser implementation.

> Finally, I would like to be able to log to the Xml file without require
the
> developer to code a lot of \" and <> characters.

Seems reasonable. This may require the definition of some helper classes...

    MessageFragment.addNode(String name, String value) ???

.duncan