ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: XML output from ant tasks
Date Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:13:58 GMT
> One possible solution is ( guess what? ) xml. If we convert all logs to
> display well-formed XML it will be easy to post-process the results
> and even have a nice format.

I'm actually not so hot on this. The reasons being

    1) XML isn't nice to read -- and doesn't really belong on an
       output window

    2) An XML document isn't complete till it's finished, so doing
       a transform to display out to terminal would have to wait
       till the entire build was done which isn't terribly useful
       for interactive use

If the solution is set up so that plain text was output with the option of
sending the data to an XML file (useful for automated builds for sure) I'd
be supportive of that.

If the end goal is to reduce clutter out to the user when running (like not
seeing each and every file get copied), then I'd rather see more effort
being placed into logleveling the messages with the default loglevel seen
set pretty high.

.duncan