ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Duncan Davidson" <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/lib xml.jar
Date Mon, 28 Feb 2000 04:52:06 GMT
> Hmmmm, people. What about removing the xml.jar package alltogether?

I agree with this statement totally -- I don't think that we need to have it
in the workspace even for bootstrap purposes. I think that in order to
bootstrap Ant, we should just require that there be a JAXP compliant parser
on the classpath. I don't think that's an unreasonable requirement for
bootstraping.

> I mean: Xerces is faster and more solid that the Sun ProjectX, plus,
> it's been continuously maintained.. which is not the case for ProjectX.

Have to argue with you there... Which is faster depends on which benchmark
:) -- some benchmarks should be run with the new ProjectX coming out soon.
:)

Now, a better argument is that Xerces is a fellow Apache project and it's
pretty damn good. I'll take that argument  :) But as long as we use JAXP, it
really doesn't mater.

.duncan