ant-dev mailing list archives

From d...@multitask.com.au
Subject Objections against advanced directory scanning
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 13:54:26 GMT
Objections:

1) It seems from recent messages (please correct me here) that the
scanning is to be added into individual tasks. I would much prefer the
scanning is either added to the Project or ProjectHelper class, or a new
subclass of Task (DirectoryProcessingTask??) is introduced.

Why? Because when new taskdefs are created by other people, they will not
inherit this behaviour, much as scanDir gets reimplemented in these tasks.
As someone writing a Task, I'd have to implement (i.e. cut & paste) it
myself...ick

2) The '**' bit. Explain to me again, why with * and ? I can't match whole
directory trees, whereas with infozip I can...I'm not terribly convinced.

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

----- Forwarded by dIon Gillard/Multitask Consulting/AU on 01/02/00 00:33
-----

 Submitted by
Category

  .
Public
"Kuiper, Arnout" <Arnout.Kuiper@nl.origin-it.com>
on 31/01/2000 at 20:17
"'ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org'" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>

RE: Any objections against advanced directory scanning?

I know it's a bit strange, but with only '*' and '?' you cannot match
whole directory trees, which is needed for Ant.
Users want to include/exclude parts of a directory tree in jar, javac,
etc.
Therefore the strange '**' addition.

BTW1: You are not forced to use them. You can always stick to the old
syntax.
BTW2: This will be thoroughly documented in the manual, so the users are
not
      on their own.
BTW3: It's not that difficult as it seems (Using '**' for directories is
      actually the same as using '*' for characters, in file pattern).
BTW4: The default exclusions of the DesirableFilter are now used by
default,
      so there is no need to include them (unless you turn them off;-)

  Arnout

Previous Document

Next Document
Return to View