ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kuiper, Arnout" <Arnout.Kui...@nl.origin-it.com>
Subject RE: Any objections against advanced directory scanning?
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 09:00:08 GMT
I know it's a bit strange, but with only '*' and '?' you cannot match
whole directory trees, which is needed for Ant.
Users want to include/exclude parts of a directory tree in jar, javac, etc.
Therefore the strange '**' addition.

BTW1: You are not forced to use them. You can always stick to the old
syntax.
BTW2: This will be thoroughly documented in the manual, so the users are not
      on their own.
BTW3: It's not that difficult as it seems (Using '**' for directories is
      actually the same as using '*' for characters, in file pattern).
BTW4: The default exclusions of the DesirableFilter are now used by default,
      so there is no need to include them (unless you turn them off;-)

  Arnout