ant-dev mailing list archives

From Frank_Starsi...@themoneystore.com
Subject RE: Objections against advanced directory scanning
Date Mon, 31 Jan 2000 22:19:09 GMT

i'm not sure this helps but if the "*" appears before a  "/" doesn't this mean
that it
refers to a directory in all cases?

frank

dion@multitask.com.au on 01/31/2000 02:01:00 PM

To:   ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
cc:    (bcc: Frank Starsinic/TMS)

Subject:  RE: Objections against advanced directory scanning

"The scanner itself is in a helper class called DirectoryScanner. For now,
the only directory scanning related  'behaviour' in the Tasks are the
setIncludes, setExcludes and setDefaultexcludes (and of course a call in
the execute method)."

Excellent! molto +1's

"The '**' is needed to cater for the following situations:

1. match files in 1 directory, but not it's subdirectories. e.g.
/test/*.java which matches all .java files in the /test/ directory.
2. match files in 1 directory, and all (or a subset of) it's
subdirectories.
e.g. /test/**/*.java which matches all .java files in all directories under
/test/.
3. match directories on the leafs of the tree e.g. **/CVS/* which matches
all CVS directories and their files.

If you don't have an extra special character ('**') besides the usual '*'
and '?', it is impossible to cater for all described situations.

If you can show me how to do it without '**', please tell me. I would be
very grateful."

Infozip does this with a "recurse into directories' flag (-R), that is used
in combination with the mask to determine which files are selected.

Does the following cover things (it does as far as I can tell).

1) Includes="/test/*.java" recurse="false"
2) Includes="/test/*/*.java" recurse="true"
3) Includes="*/CVS/*" recurse="true"

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au