ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Improved Javadoc Task
Date Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:36:52 GMT
People,

since many reported problems with both the ant security manager and the
javadoc task, I patched ant and now it shines. Here's what I did:

1) removed the ant security manager. Now ant compiles with no problems
on both java 1.1 1.2 and 1.3

2) changed javadoc2.java to javadoc.java, added the <javadoc> task but
left the <javadoc2> task for temporary back compatibility. NOTE: you
should change all your <javadoc2> tasks with <javadoc> ASAP!!! since
<javadoc2> is deprecated.

(question: should we have a standard run-time way to indicate task
deprecation so that one can go ahead and remove the warnings?)

3) now javadoc works with both java1.1 and java1.2 javadoc (even if I
still have some problems with finding files on javadoc 1.1, but this is
a small issue: help is appreciated since I don't care about 1.1 that
much)

4) patched code so that now works on java 1.1 with no problems and fixed
Sam code that was not working.

5) added double-buffering to the java parsing stage that improved
package evaluation speed by 1000% percent!!!

6) made javadoc extend exec, so that it spanws another JVM. Note: this
is required since javadoc calls system.exit() and breaks ant execution
if executed in the same JVM. performance penalties turn out to be very
small.

Update your ant :)

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.