ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@relativity.yi.org>
Subject Re: Ant & Javadoc, jdk specific?
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2000 22:11:31 GMT
rubys@us.ibm.com wrote:

> Kevin A Burton wrote:
>
> > It wouldn't be that hard to add a <javadoc> to Ant... Maybe I will hack
> > it this weekend.  Does it do anything other than call
> > com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main?  If so it should run on JDK 1.1 just
> > fine.... unless it adds other command line parameters.
>
> javadoc2 calls com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main,  the original javadoc
>
> A few issues:
>
> 1) javadoc2 calls com.sun.tools.javadoc.Main.  In JDK1.1, javadoc can be
> found at sun.tools.javadoc.Main.

Good point.

> 2) javadoc2 has a lot more parameters than javadoc.  In a test version of
> the code, I was able to get the javadoc2 taskdef to get into javadoc by
> simply omitting the javadoc2 parameters.
>
> 3) javadoc2 (and presumably javadoc) call System.exit.  The original
> approach to solving this was to put in a security manager which would
> disallow exit calls, but this too is very JDK level specific.  Stefano and
> I agree that the right fix for this it to convert the code to use
> Runtime.exec exec.  Sure it is another JVM, but the code will be a lot
> cleaner, more portable, and the overhead shouldn't be significant compared
> to an entire JavaDoc run.

So you would just have to compile and under JDK 1.2.  It would work fine
on JDK 1.1 if you just wrote conditional code that didn't use a VM
specific Security Manager.

> I had actually gotten fairly far in addressing these problems (making ample
> use of  project.getJavaVersion()), but silly me, I wanted to be able to
> test it.  Since I had broken cocoon in my first attempt to address #3, I
> started there.  As I said, I was able to get into javadoc, but no files
> were being passed as input.  Taking a look at the way the build was set up,
> the list of generated class files were used as input, so I needed to
> compile Cocoon.  At that point, Stefano was proposing me as a committer, so
> I opted to wait until that was done.
>
> To make a long story short - let's not both spend the same weekend
> duplicating each other's work.  If you want it - it is yours, just don't
> make the same mistakes I did.  If for some reason you can't get to it, let
> me know and I will.

It doesn't look like I will get time to do it.  I have a ton of stuff on
my plate right now.  If you don't get around to it and in the future I
have time I will hop on it.

Kevin A Burton
Senior Software Engineer
Kendara Inc
http://www.kendara.com
Mobile:  408-910-6145
Linux - The revolution will NOT be televised