annotator-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Just a simple example?
Date Wed, 10 May 2017 18:08:13 GMT
Hey Richard,

thanks for the quick answer. I wish I knew how to write up such a demo!
I was hoping you could point me to an example from which I could learn ;)

At this point it's still quite early for showing demos...but we're working quickly to make
that happen!

What we're focused on now is some foundational tooling for a) the whole project and b) the
core functionality of Web Annotation Data Model <=> DOM "stuff" (ie. Selection API and
DOM element-based highlights--built from <span>, <mark>, or similar).

Are we talking about the same thing?

More or less. :) If you mean building something similar to that *demo*, then yes, we're on
the same page. :) However, ours will be using the Web Annotation Data Model [1] and as little
code as we can possibly write to prove that the developer using the tools we are making can
be used to do things in the DOM of a web page. For instance...

I am not very familiar with the DOM Selection API, but I thought that
it controls text selection, e.g. for copy-paste operations.

We hope to have a demo specifically for a) quick, temporal highlighting using the DOM Selection
API (no DOM-based elements and no persistence beyond the first selection--meaning, clicking
on the page removes the selection).

Later, we hope to have a copy-paste operation/thing that let's you copy/paste annotations
between web pages. Similar to this earlier demo by Randall:
http://run.plnkr.co/plunks/FJibLnSRElKG3k5s5jH9/

Is that at all usable for rendering annotations?

Only on the first page load. It's not meant (in this case) to be permanent.

I mean, can you create multiple selections with different colorings and that
don't go away when the user manually click-drags a new selection, e.g. to copy
a piece of text?

So. No. Not this Selection API-based stuff. However, later demos that use span or mark tags
could certainly be used as a foundation for individually colored highlights.

Also, does that actually support events such as on-mouse-over popups that would
show additional information about an annotated piece of text?

Again, no. :) It's not what the Selection API is about. Later demos with DOM persisted annotations,
yes. :)

I had a brief look of how annotatorjs rendered highlights, and at least
in the version I tried, it was using span elements. Is that going to change now?

Right. Annotation.js offered only DOM persisted annotations. If you wanted to do something
more inventive (or server side!), you'd be on your own or have to desperately hack away at
Annotator.js until you found the bits you needed or successfully removed the bits you didn't.

Apache Annotator aims to build much more minimal more easily compose-able libraries that can
be used in N number of idiosyncratic annotation tools.

Hopefully that explains the objectives a bit better. :)

Happy to answer other questions if you have them!

Benjamin

[1] https://www.w3.org/TR/annotation-model/

--

http://bigbluehat.com/

http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

________________________________
thanks for the quick answer. I wish I knew how to write up such a demo!
I was hoping you could point me to an example from which I could learn ;)

Just to make sure again we have a similar thing in mind. I am looking
for something similar to the brat embedding feature [1], just using
annotatorjs instead of brat. Are we talking about the same thing?

I am not very familiar with the DOM Selection API, but I thought that
it controls text selection, e.g. for copy-paste operations. Is that
at all usable for rendering annotations?

I mean, can you create multiple selections with different colorings and that
don't go away when the user manually click-drags a new selection, e.g. to copy
a piece of text?

Also, does that actually support events such as on-mouse-over popups that would
show additional information about an annotated piece of text?

I had a brief look of how annotatorjs rendered highlights, and at least
in the version I tried, it was using span elements. Is that going to change now?

Best,

-- Richard

[1] http://brat.nlplab.org/embed.html#embedding-event-example

> On 10.05.2017, at 15:40, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com> wrote:
>
> Hey Richard!
>
> Thanks for writing. There are exactly such things in the works. I've seen an in-progress
demo from Randall (when we were hanging out at I Annotate) that uses fragment selectors to
highlight (via the DOM Selection API).

> Here's W3C Note that defines the fragment selector format:
>
> http://w3c.github.io/web-annotation/selector-note/#frags
>
> We also discussed a demo pretty similar to what you describe that has a Web Annotation
Data Model document shown in a textarea (perhaps) that is also used to highlight a thing on
the page.

> At any rate, these exact things are in progress. :)
>
> If you'd like to write-up a demo page and a Web Annotation Data Model annotation (or
a few) that highlight some stuff, that'd be a great help to demo on.