annotator-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: Hi!
Date Tue, 14 Feb 2017 19:55:49 GMT
Thanks, Roy! Any help to get us up and running at the ASF is greatly appreciated.

What's needed most at the moment is selecting a direction--and for that, we'd like some active
voices. :)

The largest thing to determine is do we follow that roadmap (which I wrote all by myself...)
[1] and...

- focus on AnnotatorJS compatibility at the data exchange layer (meaning Apache Annotator
can read and maybe write AnnotatorJS annotations)?

OR

 - do we bring the AnnotatorJS code base over and continue that work directly?

Bringing the AnnotatoJS code over is a bit tangled as the copyright is owned by several people
and under a dual-license (MIT/GPL). Also, the two primary contributors to AnnotatorJS (Randall
and Nick) have both stated a disinterest in continuing that work and instead shifting focus
to smaller libraries and then building back up (possibly).

For example, Hypothes.is started with AnnotatorJS, but their internal fork is well beyond
a recognizable fork. It also happens to depend on Randall's dom-anchor-* libraries [2]--which
we plan to use here.

So far the consensus (from the few of us who've made it here so far) is that we start fresh.
That Planning doc in the wiki is as close as we've got (so far) to a plan to do that.

My current thinking is that we need to do two things:

1. throw some code up that starts down the road described in the "Planning" doc

2. setup a community call/chat/email thread to get initial feedback

I've been holding off on #1 hoping for more input first, but I'm increasingly of a mind that
I've had that backwards from day one. :-P

"It's fairly clear that one cannot code from the ground up in bazaar style [IN]<http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s14.html#IN>."

http://www.catb.org/esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/ar01s10.html

Which means it's past time for me to post some code, eh? ;)

Thanks for being here, Roy!

Benjamin

[1] https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/ANNO/Planning

[2] https://github.com/tilgovi?utf8=%E2%9C%93&tab=repositories&q=dom-anch&type=&language=