annotator-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Re: (re)connecting
Date Thu, 19 Jan 2017 15:11:31 GMT
Hey Rebecca!

First, apologies for the super slow reply!

Second, determining what to do with ye olde Annotator.js stuff is part of what we (as a group)
need to discuss and decide.

FWIW, Randall and I (the two most active here at present) are leaning toward starting fresh
using his dom-anchor libraries: https://github.com/tilgovi?utf8=%E2%9C%93&tab=repositories&q=dom-anchor&type=&language=

The goal would still be to make the annotation *data* output from Annotator.js consumable
by this new thing, but it's unlikely the plugin architecture (or similar) would work the same.

Our hope is to keep this new thing as minimal as possible, and allow it to serve more purposes
via other frameworks and systems--trying to avoid building yet-another-JS-framework-thing.
:)

Additionally, the copyright of the old code is owned by multiple people, and the plugin ecosystem
is also very mixed. However, it looks like the Readux addons are fabulously Apache License
2.0 licensed. ^_^

We don't want to leave the Annotator.js-based projects behind--quiet the opposite--but we
do need to have a solid foundation to build from...and it's not clear that Annotator.js 2.0
is that.

Happy to hear your thoughts regardless! :)

Thanks for being here!

Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/