annotator-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Sauter <...@worldbrain.io>
Subject Re: Proposing a path
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2016 11:14:01 GMT
> On 30 Nov 2016, at 16:33, Benjamin Young <byoung@bigbluehat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi friends!
>
> It's been quieter here than I (or the board report I need to write by the weekend) would
like it to be. :)

> I'd like to propose a path for us to take over the next 6 months to get this incubating
project on its feet, collaborating, coding, and creating content. So. Here goes.

> First, we build a simple highlighter demo for Grade A Fancy web browsers (i.e. the latest
and greatest).

> The demo would:
>  - allow selection of text
>  - keep the highlight in localStorage as a Web Annotation Data Model document
>  - re-anchor the annotation (if possible) on page reload
I find this to be a good scope to go for - a minimal version that is capable of being integrated
easily into other projects
(not without a self-interest here, I assume that we would implement it into the WorldBrain
tool in the future)

Question being, how would we store it in local storage? just the simple storage as is or also
think about a db?
Soon I will publish the datamodel for storing the webpages and their content in the PouchDB.
We may also talk about how to integrate one into the other, also as a use case for other integrations.

> We would use these libraries:
> - https://github.com/tilgovi/dom-anchor-text-quote
> - https://github.com/tilgovi/dom-anchor-text-position
> - https://github.com/tilgovi/dom-anchor-fragment
>
> The demo would focus on the "drop in" script tag use case.
>
> In the end, this would (deliberately) not do very much. :) The point being, we need to
start somewhere, and this somewhere. ;)

> The actions beyond this deliberately-dumb-demo include:
> - creating/contributing a Web Extension that uses this code (I have one to contribute)
> - creating/contributing a Web Annotation Protocol server that these annotations could
be published (I've also got code ready to go for this...or we could rewrite in JS to keep
things consistent)

Is there also other code we can reuse? Specifically UI compontents? Since Hypothesis now separated
client from backend, we may could use their front end code and strip it down?