annotator-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Meet Page Notes
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2016 17:20:17 GMT
Hi friends!

For http://devcember.com/ I’ve been coding on a Web Extension that adds *very* basic Web
Annotation functionality and some nifty translation stuff (for kicks…).
https://github.com/BigBlueHat/page-notes/

Page Notes let’s you take notes on any resource (page, file, image, etc) that your browser
can view. It can also do in-page highlights on HTML content and re-show them when you return.

It’s my intention (if there’s interest here) to contribute this as one of our demo-apps.
It’s built with a couple of Randall’s dom-anchor libraries:
https://github.com/tilgovi/dom-anchor-text-quote
https://github.com/tilgovi/dom-anchor-text-position
and a little library for wrapping selections in DOM elements (in this case `<mark>`
tags):
https://github.com/lakenen/wrap-range-text/

Lastly, it provides a standard-compliant AnnotationCollection for all the notes and highlights
from across all the resources you’ve taken notes about or highlights upon.

There are *loads* of things it doesn’t do…but it’s a promising start. :)

Enjoy (if you care to), and hopefully we can discuss here what interest there may be (if any)
in working on this together.

Cheers!
Benjamin

--