annotator-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject Our Landscape
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2016 16:08:57 GMT
Hi friends!

The underpinning vision of creating the Apache Annotator (incubating) project was to give
Annotator.js a future and to build toward a greater, more inter-operable future for annotation
built (in part) on the Web Annotation raft of specification.

Our incubator proposal presented the Annotator.js history, the recent Web Annotation specification
work, as well as several projects built by folks who signed-up to be on the committers list
here:

https://wiki.apache.org/incubator/AnnotatorProposal

I'd like us to create a "landscape" of what's available, who owns/licenses what, and decide
what (of those things) can be brought into this collective project.

To do that, we need each of the owners (aka license holders) of these various projects to
state whether they'd like to migrate their code here. Once we've got those commitments, there
are some documents to sign and submit (along with the code!) to the ASF, so that we can continue
that work here legally.

Alternatively, we can start "fresh" and including/depend on things from external projects
with licenses compatible with the Apache License 2.x.

I'd love to hear from anyone and everyone who's here, interested in building this project
together, and/or has code to contribute. Specifically, anyone who's got a significant contribution/license
to the Annotator.js code base (Randall, Nick, Aron) as well as anyone who's built Annotator.js
1.x/2.x plugins.

For my part, I'm working on the website and also going to dust-off some of the Web Annotation
projects I've built (and am building) for contribution here--if they're wanted. ;) Some of
them are built as Annotator.js 2.x plugins. Others are standalone server or client code projects.

This is a collective project, so your voice and input is not only wanted, but needed! :D

Thanks!

Benjamin

--

http://bigbluehat.com/