annotator-dev mailing list archives

From John Kitchin <jkitc...@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject Re: [annotator-dev] Using annotator locally?
Date Wed, 12 Oct 2016 01:17:00 GMT
That also looks interesting! Thanks for the tip.

It looks like I am heading in a PDF annotation direction, but I like the
idea of HTML annotation a little better, especially if there are
open-source annotation solutions.

Benjamin Young writes:

> Hey John!
>
> Actually...before you wander off :wink: let me introduce you to this app
> http://dokie.li/
>
> I'd forgotten that it *already* does inline storing of annotations and
> meaningful content (via RDFa)--not to mention all the other amazing
> things it does. :)
>
> I've CC'd the creator of dokie.li and he can tell all of us more about
> it. ;)
>
> Cheers!
> Benjamin
>
> On 10/8/2016 10:28 AM, John Kitchin wrote:
>> Thanks for the reply. It is very helpful. It doesn't sound like this is
>> the path forward for what I am trying do for now, but maybe some time in
>> the future. Best wishes with this project, it looks very interesting!
>>

>> Benjamin Young writes:
>>
>>> Hey John,
>>>

>>> Thanks for writing!
>>>

>>> This is not currently something that Annotator is built to do, but in the 2.x
system there is pluggable storage system that could possible serve in this case.

>>> That said, it’s probably a better fit to have that “compilation” (HTML
+ annotations = more HTML ;) ) made “last” (at the authors discretion) via a “Save As…”
options or some such. The code would keep the annotation separately, perhaps in localStorage
or PouchDB [1] and then “materialize” the lot of it as HTML when requested.

>>> Also, I’m CCing the Apache Annotator (incubating) mailing list where activity
is gradually re-growing around this and other annotation related code. I’d love to have
you join us there!

--
Professor John Kitchin
Doherty Hall A207F