annotator-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Young <byo...@bigbluehat.com>
Subject RE: [annotator-dev] Using annotator locally?
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2016 12:50:37 GMT
Hey Robert,

Along these lines, one of the things we’d (you, me, other hypothes.is folks) discussed back
in Berlin in the spring was Hypothes.is potentially donating/extracting the PDF annotation
bits—or permitting this project to.

Is that still something you’re available to help with?

Thanks!

Benjamin

--
http://bigbluehat.com/
http://linkedin.com/in/benjaminyoung

From: Robert Knight<mailto:robertknight@hypothes.is>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 8:11 AM
To: dev@annotator.incubator.apache.org<mailto:dev@annotator.incubator.apache.org>
Cc: Benjamin Young<mailto:byoung@bigbluehat.com>; info@csarven.ca<mailto:info@csarven.ca>
Subject: Re: [annotator-dev] Using annotator locally?

Hello John,

The Hypothesis client, originally built on a fork of the Annotator
project, might help if you are looking for an open source solution to
annotate either PDFs or web content - see
https://github.com/hypothesis/client . It does not store annotations
in the PDF itself, but using an instance of the Hypothesis service -
for which you can either use the public one we provide (at
https://hypothes.is) or you can run your own instance (which is not
too tricky, but I will preface with the caveat that we can only
provide limited support with any issues that come up).

If you can provide a few more details about your needs I might be able
to provide more guidance on using Hypothesis and/or recommend
alternative solutions.

Kind Regards,
Rob.

On Wed, Oct 12, 2016 at 2:17 AM, John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> That also looks interesting! Thanks for the tip.
>
> It looks like I am heading in a PDF annotation direction, but I like the
> idea of HTML annotation a little better, especially if there are
> open-source annotation solutions.
>
> Benjamin Young writes:
>
>> Hey John!
>>
>> Actually...before you wander off :wink: let me introduce you to this app
>> http://dokie.li/
>>
>> I'd forgotten that it *already* does inline storing of annotations and
>> meaningful content (via RDFa)--not to mention all the other amazing
>> things it does. :)
>>
>> I've CC'd the creator of dokie.li and he can tell all of us more about
>> it. ;)
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Benjamin
>>
>> On 10/8/2016 10:28 AM, John Kitchin wrote:
>>> Thanks for the reply. It is very helpful. It doesn't sound like this is
>>> the path forward for what I am trying do for now, but maybe some time in
>>> the future. Best wishes with this project, it looks very interesting!

2.x system there is pluggable storage system that could possible serve in this case.

+ annotations = more HTML ;) ) made “last” (at the authors discretion) via a “Save As…”
options or some such. The code would keep the annotation separately, perhaps in localStorage
or PouchDB [1] and then “materialize” the lot of it as HTML when requested.

is gradually re-growing around this and other annotation related code. I’d love to have
you join us there!

--
Kind Regards,
Rob