ambari-user mailing list archives

From Aravindan Vijayan <avija...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Grafana using Ambari as Data Source
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2016 17:01:47 GMT
Hi Gunnar,

Maybe there is some miscommunication here. Which of these cases best describes your scenario?

1. You have a cluster managed by Ambari 2.2.2, along with Ambari Metrics Service (AMS) as
one of the services.
In that case, AMS already has a native Grafana instance that is integrated. Please use the
"quicklink" on the Ambari Metrics Summary page to navigate to Grafana. This Grafana instance
is already configured to talk to the AMS part of the cluster, and can display the metrics
in pre-created dashboards.

2. You have a cluster managed by Ambari 2.2.2 without AMS, and have an external Grafana instance.
You want to configure the external Grafana instance to visualize metrics from Ambari

You can either add the Ambari Metrics Service and use the pre-integrated Grafana instance
that ships with it. Or, if you want to use your external Grafana instance to look at Ambari
metrics, you can follow the instructions that I mentioned in my last mail. You will still
need the Ambari Metrics service to be installed on your Ambari for the metrics collection.
Repeating the instructions here

> Execute the following from the top level "ambari" directory in ambari git<https://github.com/apache/ambari>
repository.

cp -R ambari-metrics/ambari-metrics-grafana/ambari-metrics /usr/share/grafana/public/app/plugins/datasource

> Restart external Grafana instance to pick up the plugin to talk to an AMS end point.
The AMS end point for configuring the new datasource will be the <METRICS_COLLECTOR_HOST>:6188
, and datasource type will be AmbariMetrics.

FYI, the datasource plugin files need to be copied from the git repository, and not from a
deployed cluster.

What application dashboard are you trying to build? Are you looking for metrics that are not
present in the pre-built dashboards - https://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.2.2.0/bk_Ambari_Users_Guide/content/_using_grafana.html
?
--
Thanks and Regards,
Aravindan Vijayan

From: Gunnar Tapper
Date: Monday, August 29, 2016 at 10:04 PM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>"
Subject: Re: Grafana using Ambari as Data Source

Hi Aravindan,

I cannot find ambari-metrics/ambari-metrics-grafana/ambari-metrics on the host where the Ambari
server is residing:

sudo find . | grep ambari-metrics-grafana | grep -v sessions | grep -v public | grep -v yum
./usr/sbin/ambari-metrics-grafana
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/conf
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/conf/defaults.ini
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/conf/sample.ini
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/bin
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/bin/grafana-server.md5
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/bin/grafana-server
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/NOTICE.md
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/LICENSE.md
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/vendor
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/vendor/phantomjs
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/vendor/phantomjs/phantomjs
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/vendor/phantomjs/render.js
./usr/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/README.md
./var/run/ambari-metrics-grafana
./var/run/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana-server.pid
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.log
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.log.2016-08-28.001
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.out
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.log.2016-08-25.001
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.log.2016-08-29.001
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.log.2016-08-26.001
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/xorm.log
./var/log/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.log.2016-08-27.001
./var/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana
./var/lib/ambari-metrics-grafana/grafana.db
./etc/ambari-metrics-grafana
./etc/ambari-metrics-grafana/conf
./etc/ambari-metrics-grafana/conf/ams-grafana-env.sh
./etc/ambari-metrics-grafana/conf/ams-grafana.ini

Gunnar

On Fri, Aug 26, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Aravindan Vijayan <avijayan@hortonworks.com<mailto:avijayan@hortonworks.com>>
wrote:
Hi Gunnar,

As of now, the grafana plugin that ships with Ambari is configured to talk to Ambari Metrics
Service (AMS) only. It is the AMS REST server (METRICS COLLECTOR) that runs on port 6188.
You can add AMS to Ambari if you do not have it already.

You can execute the following from the top level "ambari" directory in ambari git<https://github.com/apache/ambari>
repository.

cp -R ambari-metrics/ambari-metrics-grafana/ambari-metrics /usr/share/grafana/public/app/plugins/datasource

Once the above copying is done, on restart of Grafana, it will have the plugin to talk to

From: Gunnar Tapper
Date: Friday, August 26, 2016 at 10:50 AM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>"
Subject: Grafana using Ambari as Data Source

Hi,

I'm trying to build an application dashboard in Grafana. Some of the data I need is available
in Ambari so I'd like to use Ambari as a data source based on the information in: https://github.com/apache/ambari/tree/trunk/ambari-metrics/ambari-metrics-grafana

Unfortunately, the information does not seem quite correct. For example, this command doesn't
show the correct root directory and I cannot find ambari-metrics-grafana/ambari-metrics.

cp -R ambari/ambari-metrics/ambari-metrics-grafana/ambari-metrics /usr/share/grafana/public/app/plugins/datasource

I'm running Ambari Version 2.2.2.0.

I can see the Ambari metrics in Main.org but fail to create a new Ambari data source using
port 6188 against the same URL that the Ambari UI is using even though AmbariMetrics is a
viable data source. Error: "Internal Server Error."

What am I missing?

--
Thanks,

Gunnar
If you think you can you can, if you think you can't you're right.