ambari-user mailing list archives

From Sumit Mohanty <smoha...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: custom action times out even though it never even started
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2016 05:11:08 GMT
Generally, if host is in heart-beat lost or unknown state then commands timeout immediately.
Adding health check will help for sure.

________________________________
From: Greg Hill <greg.hill@RACKSPACE.COM>
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2016 10:55 AM
To: user@ambari.apache.org
Subject: custom action times out even though it never even started

In our Ambari setup, we inject some custom actions.  Generally this has worked well, but lately
I've been testing a specific one and the behavior I'm seeing confuses me.  We have one custom
action that will download a script from a URL and run it.  However, despite my setting the
timeout on the script to an hour, it randomly "times out" on specific servers in a matter
of seconds.  It times out before it even attempts to run the script on that host.  Is there
some time out based on whether ambari-agent starts running the action in a certain amount
of time I need to tweak here?  It's random, but it usually affects at least one host in the
cluster.

I should note that this is done after I restart the Ambari server, so it's possible that the
agent hasn't fully re-established communications.  Should I check the host status before posting
my Request to run the script to make sure it has gotten back to HEALTHY?

Ambari 2.1.1 if that matters (we're going to update to 2.2.1 when it's out).

Any help appreciated here.

Greg