ambari-user mailing list archives

From Alejandro Fernandez <afernan...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Services' versions defined in stack ignored when provisioning cluster via blueprint
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2016 18:13:36 GMT
Hi Michal,

Which version of Ambari are you on?

In AMBARI-13830<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-13830> (on trunk), Spark's
metainfo.xml file contains,
          <name>SPARK</name>
          <version>1.5.2.2.3</version>
          <extends>common-services/SPARK/1.4.1.2.3</extends>

It may very well be possible that the value is changed depending on which version of HDP 2.3
you install.

Thanks,
Alejandro

From: Michal Siemaszko <michal.siemaszko@vnomic.com<mailto:michal.siemaszko@vnomic.com>>
Date: Monday, January 4, 2016 at 8:34 AM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>" <user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>>
Subject: Services' versions defined in stack ignored when provisioning cluster via blueprint

Hi,

For a project where creation of Hadoop clusters needs to be fully automated, I utilized Ambari's
blueprints and auto-discovery features, in addition to bootstraping hosts via REST instead
of GUI (so the manual host registration is not necessary anymore).

I run into an issue where versions of services defined in stack used are ignored during cluster
provisioning. For example, I specify "stack_name" as "HDP" and "stack_version" as "2.3" in
blueprint I use, and "Spark" version associated with that stack is "1.4.1.2.3". However, once
cluster is provisioned, even though http://[AmbariServerNode]:8080/#/main/admin/stack/services
also shows "Spark" version "1.4.1.2.3" installed, when submitting a sample Spark job via Spark
shell on client node, "Spark" version "1.5.2" is shown; `/usr/hdp/2.3.4.0-3485/spark/RELEASE`
file on that node also shows "Spark" version "1.5.2.2.3.4.0".

I got around this issue by changing the base URL for repository used to 'http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/centos6/2.x/updates/2.3.2.0'
(instead of "http://public-repo-1.hortonworks.com/HDP/centos6/2.x/updates/2.3.4.0") prior
to provisioning cluster from blueprint.

I'm wondering whether this is something expected or if it's a bug, i.e. that service version
defined in stack is ignored unless such change is made. Shouldn't services' versions defined
in stack be respected and applied regardless of base URL? Perhaps I'm missing some other settings
that should be applied in blueprint or cluster creation template, but AFAIK it's all as per
docs/examples I read.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
Michal Siemaszko