ambari-user mailing list archives

From Srimanth Gunturi <sgunt...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Is there any guide on how to write stackadvisor ?
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:50:15 GMT
Hi Jeff,

The closest we have to documentation is the python doc comments we have in the base abstract
class of StackAdvisor - https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/trunk/ambari-server/src/main/resources/stacks/stack_advisor.py#L23

Each stack advisor does 4 things for which there are 4 ?abstract methods

1. recommend component layout - def recommendComponentLayout(self, services, hosts)

2. validate component layout - def validateComponentLayout(self, services, hosts)

3. recommend configurations based on layout - def recommendConfigurations(self, services,
hosts)

4. validate configurations based on layout - def validateConfigurations(self, services, hosts)

If you notice, all 4 methods are passed 2 important pieces of information:

1. services - Contains any/all information about services being installed and which hosts
they are installed on

2. hosts - Contains any/all information about hosts in cluster

The above 2 data structures will tell you anything about the cluster being created/edited.

So to the question about 'how to get the number of nodemangers' - it should be available by
parsing both these data structures. We have utility method called 'def getHostsWithComponent(self,
serviceName, componentName, services, hosts)' which gets the hosts a particular component
is installed. You can see its usage at - https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/trunk/ambari-server/src/main/resources/stacks/HDP/2.0.6/services/stack_advisor.py#L722?

Hoping this helps.

Best regards,

Srimanth