ambari-user mailing list archives

From Greg Hill <greg.h...@RACKSPACE.COM>
Subject NullPointerException when posting a Request
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2015 17:28:29 GMT
Our product provisions clusters in an automated way using Ambari.  About 1 in 50 clusters gets
this error, so we're not sure exactly how to reproduce it.  It might be a race condition of
some sort.  One of the first things we do is run a set of custom actions on all the nodes
in the cluster.  We do that by POST'ing a request to the cluster.  Randomly that request will
throw a 500 error with this NullPointerException:

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/jimbobhickville/62176c2053827a90efab/raw/34fec22ff0fda2056090377ca432b18f58073d9a/gistfile1.txt

This is on Ambari 2.1.1

The code path looks pretty normal, but I'm not much of a Java dev so there could be something
that isn't obvious to me.  It's just looking up the current cluster in the database by name.
 Doing a GET /clusters/<cluster-id> works fine at the same point in the process, afaict,
so I don't see how it's getting a NullPointerException when doing it internally.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a workaround or way to tell when it's safe to issue the request?

Greg