ambari-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Perroud <ben...@noisette.ch>
Subject Custom Alert definition
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2015 12:57:00 GMT
Hi All,

I'm struggling with the following use case:

I want to add a custom alert which should call a custom script monitoring
some Pig jobs.

My alert definition currently looks like this:

  "AlertDefinition" : {
    "cluster_name" : "MyCluster",
    "component_name" : null,
    "description" : "My description",
    "enabled" : true,
    "ignore_host" : true,
    "interval" : 5,
    "label" : "My_Label",
    "name" : "my_name",
    "scope" : "ANY",
    "service_name" : "PIG",
    "source" : {
      "parameters" : [
        {
          "name" : "connection.timeout1",
          "display_name" : "Connection Timeout1",
          "units" : "seconds",
          "value" : 10.0,
          "description" : "The maximum time before this alert is considered
to be CRITICAL",
          "type" : "NUMERIC",
          "threshold" : "CRITICAL"
        }
      ],
      "path" : "/usr/local/bin/pig_check.sh",
      "type" : "SCRIPT"
    }
  }

My alert is added properly, i.e. I'm able to
query api/v1/clusters/DAPLAB02/alert_definitions/${alert_id}, but I don't
see my script called at all, i mean, the state in Ambari is NONE, and I
don't see any alert (api/v1/clusters/DAPLAB02/alerts) with defintion_id =
${alert_id}.

Also, is there some more detailed documentation about the properties such as
- ignore_host
- what is the difference between name and description?
- can we add general checks not related to any service?
- with the METRIC source, can we monitor metrics reported in the Ambari
Collector instead of JMX?

Thanks in advance,

Benoit.