ambari-user mailing list archives

From Brian Jeltema <bdjelt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how to roll back HDP 2.1 -> HDP 2.2 upgrade
Date Mon, 21 Dec 2015 11:56:56 GMT

I used the Ambari/HDP upgrade doc at http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.0.2.0/bk_upgrading_Ambari/content/index.html

> Also, is it possible for you to share the dump of the DB - feel free to mail me using
my personal address?

its’ attached

> I want to understand what state the cluster is in from Ambari perspective. Also, it will
give me an idea of how you can restore old configurations.

> Can you check on a node what packages are installed? That will tell you if both 2.1 and
2.2 are installed.

a ‘yum list’ shows lots of HDP-2.2.8.0 packages, but no HDP-2.1 packages other than bigtop-jsvc.x86_64

Some additional points:

  I updated to 2.2.8.0 rather than the current 2.2.9.0 to be consistent with a previous dev
cluster upgrade. However,
  the repository setting in ambari was set to 2.2.9.0, which I didn’t notice immediately.
I fixed this, but amber
  is still trying to for some package installs for 2.2.9.0, I presume because of command pending
in the
  execution_command table.

  I used the info at http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.1.2.0/bk_ambari_reference_guide/content/_how_to_customize_the_name_of_a_host.html
<http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.1.2.0/bk_ambari_reference_guide/content/_how_to_customize_the_name_of_a_host.html>
  to set customized names for some nodes, as you suggested in an earlier email. I only did
the first 5 steps since I didn’t think
  I needed to generate a different public name for each host.

structure through versioned rpms - so the layout should not have overwritten the earlier installations.

> I followed the upgrade cookbook; I’m not clear on the state of the 2.1 binaries, or
how to restore
> the original config files.
>

>> At a very high level you need to
>> * Stop any running services
>> * Uninstall 2.2
>> * set the cluster version back to HDP-2.1
>> * revert the configs back to what you have for HDP-2.1 (by applying older versions)
>
> These details are what I was hoping to get information about (other than stopping the
services).

>> * Start all services
>>
>> What errors do you see with HDP-2.2. We can also look at the errors and see if configs
can be modified so that 2.2 works.

> Lots of different problems. Hive shell hangs. Ambari start/stop operations don’t work.
HBase problems finding rows in the keystone.
> Clients that keep trying to load from repositories other than the one I have configured.
So many issues that reverting