ambari-user mailing list archives

From Ken Barclay <kbarc...@ancestry.com>
Subject Re: Any way to reset Ambari Install Wizard?
Date Tue, 27 Oct 2015 22:47:03 GMT
Hello,

I’m returning to an issue we’ve left hanging since July – we have now to fix Ambari
on this cluster or take the whole cluster down and reinstall from scratch.

Our situation is that although our HDP 2.2 cluster is running well, Ambari cannot be used
to install anything because the wizard is broken.

I did a restart of Ambari server and agents per Artem, but without knowing exactly what changes
to make to the postgres tables I’m reluctant to try that part. We also tried to add a new
component (Spark) using the Ambari API instead of the wizard, but that also failed, as did
trying to remove the Spark (again via the API) that had failed to install.

We have 1.5T of monitoring data on this 4-node cluster that want to preserve. The cluster
is dedicated to storing metrics in HBase via OpenTSDB and that is all it is used for.

I just want to confirm with the group that since Ambari can only be used to manage a cluster
that it installed itself, our best option in this scenario would be to:

Shut down monitoring
Copy all the data to another cluster
Completely remove Ambari and HDP per https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Host+Cleanup+for+Ambari+and+Stack
Do a fresh install of HDP 2.2 using the latest Ambari, and
Copy the data back to the new cluster.

Please let us know if this is a valid approach
Thanks

Ken