ambari-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Sposetti <j...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Unable to Change Hive Metastore after Installation
Date Fri, 08 May 2015 14:31:50 GMT
HI,

Ambari 2.0 allows you to modify the database connection information from Ambari Web. Ambari
2.0 documentation is here http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.0.0.0/index.html
and Ambari 1.7 -> 2.0 upgrade information is here http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.0.0.0/Ambari_Doc_Suite/ADS_v200.html#ref-385ec2d5-0648-4a6b-afed-5e079b6cd608

And here are some abridged instructions once you are on Ambari 2.0 to switch from the default
MySQL database to use existing databases (such as existing MySQL, Oracle or PostgreSQL). Refer
to the Ambari Reference Guide<http://docs.hortonworks.com/HDPDocuments/Ambari-2.0.0.0/Ambari_Doc_Suite/ADS_v200.html#ref-fa206f19-8c72-4bd5-9115-540e5e623be1>
for the prerequisites for setting-up the existing database for Hive:

  1.  After performing the prerequisite steps, in Ambari Web, browse to Services > Hive
> Configs and select the Existing Database option. For example, if you want to switch from
default MySQL to an existing Oracle database, select the "Existing Oracle Database" option.

  2.  Modify the database configuration settings as appropriate for your environment (such
as database host, username, password, etc).

  3.  Click the Test Connection button. This will confirm a connection to the database is
available.

  4.  Save the configuration changes.

  5.  Restart Hive components as instructed for the change to take affect.

Important: this procedure does not export or import any existing Hive information from the
current database to the new database. You must perform that data migration on your own prior
to making the Hive Metastore database connection change.

Jeff

From: Rahul Verma <rahulverma79@gmail.com<mailto:rahulverma79@gmail.com>>
Date: Friday, May 8, 2015 at 8:49 AM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>" <user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>>
Subject: Unable to Change Hive Metastore after Installation

Dear All,

We have installed Apache Ambari Version 1.7.0. We had installed Hive with the Hive Metastore
database as MySQL.

Currently,we have to move the database from MySQL to Oracle(our application is currently using
Oracle and we would like the hive metastore also to be hosted on Oracle). However, the Ambari
UI doesn't allow us to edit the Hive Database(the option is non-editable). Please let us know
whether we can change the metastore database after the installation of the cluster.

Attaching the screenshot of the Hive config page.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction.