ambari-user mailing list archives

From Yusaku Sako <yus...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Couple of question.
Date Sat, 21 Mar 2015 01:01:16 GMT
Hi Angel,

> Ganglia is going to be replace by Ambari Metric System. Will be the same for Nagios?

Yes, Ambari will ship with its own alerting system in 2.0.  Nagios is no longer supported.

> If we can not use Ambari, we are thinking in develop an adhoc application for metering
and monitoring. We are thinking in use Time Serie Databases to store metric, like Druid or
OpenTSDB. Is Amabari going to use any databases of this type?

Ambari's Metric System (AMS) uses HBase as its implementation, like OpenTSDB.  In addition,
AMS uses Phoenix to support SQL queries.
I believe the storage layer for AMS was designed so that it can be swapped out, but I will
let others who are more familiar comment on that.

> And the question that maybe you are tired to listen. :) Do you know when is planed to
release the version 2.0.0?

A release vote for 2.0 just went out.  If everything goes well, 2.0 will ship within days.

Thanks,
Yusaku

From: Angel Cervera Claudio <angelcervera@silyan.com<mailto:angelcervera@silyan.com>>
Date: Friday, March 20, 2015 6:56 AM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>" <user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Couple of question.

Hi Yusaku.
Thank you for your response.

Other three question:

  *   Ganglia is going to be replace by Ambari Metric System. Will be the same for Nagios?
  *   If we can not use Ambari, we are thinking in develop an adhoc application for metering
and monitoring. We are thinking in use Time Serie Databases to store metric, like Druid or
OpenTSDB. Is Amabari going to use any databases of this type?
  *   And the question that maybe you are tired to listen. :) Do you know when is planed to
release the version 2.0.0?

Regards and thanks for your time.

Hi Angel,

On Ambari 1.7.0 and earlier, Ganglia is used to capture information about memory usage, network
usage, and other system metrics, as well as Hadoop-specific metrics.
Ambari 2.0.0 and onwards, Ambari Metric System will replace Ganglia as the underlying metrics
collection framework.
In either system, you can tune sampling/aggregation frequencies and retention policies so
that you can control how long the collected samples/aggregated values are kept at what granularity.

Yusaku

From: Angel Cervera Claudio <angelcervera@silyan.com<mailto:angelcervera@silyan.com>>
Date: Thursday, March 19, 2015 4:10 AM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>" <user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>>

Hi Yasuku.
Thanks for your responses.

Respect Historical data: One of the requirements that we have is to be able to show/compare
historical information.
For example, it is necessary to be able to compare the memory used yesterday (when we executed
the new version of a heavy MapReduce process) with the memory consumed two month ago.
This is only one example.

Regards.

Hi Angel,

Please see my response inline below:

From: Angel Cervera Claudio <angelcervera@silyan.com<mailto:angelcervera@silyan.com>>
Date: Friday, March 6, 2015 12:50 AM
To: "user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>" <user@ambari.apache.org<mailto:user@ambari.apache.org>>
Subject: Couple of question.

Hi everybody.

I am looking for the way of custom Ambari with new widgets and views.
Researching for few days (I never worked before with this tool), I have a couple of questions:

  *   Is there any easy way to create new widget to add in the main page of Ambari?

  *   Is there any possibility to have a different layout (different widgets and views) per
user. Something like profiles.

  *   Is there possible to secure by roles and widgets/views/services (authorization)?

[YS] These will be covered by new features being worked on to make the dashboards customizable
via https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AMBARI-9792.
You will be able to define a default layout, as well as customized layouts per user, create
new widgets based on different metrics, share those widgets, etc.  Views (and their features)
can be authorized per the Ambari Views framework already.

  *   I did not found anything about history data (real historical data, per years). Is it
possible?

[YS] Can you clarify what you mean?  Do you mean various time-series data emitted by the system/various
components?

I downloaded the source code for 1.7 (github tag 1.7), but in the pom.xml said that it is
the version 1.3.0-SNAPSHOT. Curiosly, there are not release 1.3 mention in the ambari.apache.org<http://ambari.apache.org>
page. Why?

[YS] That's just an artifact of the source code in Ambari 1.7.0.  If you want to rebuild,
you can issue "mvn versions:set -DnewVersion=1.7.0.0" to set the version in the pom.xml files.
 You are correct that there never was a 1.3 release.

Regards.