ambari-user mailing list archives

From Yusaku Sako <yus...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: NameNode can't be started via Ambari Web UI --> Problematic Property is: fs.defaultFS
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2014 17:59:12 GMT
Ravi,

Yes, you should configure it so that "hostname -f" returns the FQDN
(with the domain name).
Also "server_1" is not a valid hostname (you cannot use an underscore
in the hostname).
The OS might actually let you do this, but this is against the
standard, so certain software may not work (for example, when parsing
with some regex excepted for valid hostnames).

Yusaku

On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:57 AM, Ravi Itha <itharavi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yusaku,
>
> I have an update on this. In the meanwhile I did the below:
>

> Created a brand new VM and assign the host name as server3.mycompany.com
> Updated both /etc/hosts & /etc/sysconfig/network files with that hostname.
> Installed both Ambari Server and Agent on the same host
> Created a single node cluster via Ambari Web UI
> Installed NameNode + SNameNode + DataNode + YARN + other services
>

> This time NameNode started without any issue. Without any surprise, the
> default value it took for fs.defaultFS was
> "hdfs://server3.mycompany.com:8020"
>
> The other difference is:
>
> This time, when I gave host name as server3.mycompany.com , it did not say
> this was not a valid FQDN. However, it did give me a warning in my earlier
> case i.e. Server_1
>
> So the FQDN something like Server_1 is not a good practice?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> ~Ravi Itha
>

> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM, Ravi Itha <itharavi@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Thanks Yusaku,
>>
>> I am using Ambari v 1.6.1. Yes, the default value it took for fs.defaultFS
>> is "hdfs://server_1:8020"
>>
>> The output of hostname -f is: server_1
>>
>> And, the contents of /etc/hosts is:
>>
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
>> ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>> 192.168.21.138 server_1
>> 192.168.21.137 ambari_server
>>
>> the FQDN I gave during host selection was: server_1
>>
>> As of now, the error is:
>>
>> safemode: Incomplete HDFS URI, no host: hdfs://server_1:8020
>> 2014-09-16 23:02:41,225 - Retrying after 10 seconds. Reason: Execution of
>> 'su - hdfs -c 'hadoop dfsadmin -safemode get' | grep 'Safe mode is OFF''
>> returned 1. DEPRECATED: Use of this script to execute hdfs command is
>> deprecated.
>> Instead use the hdfs command for it.
>>
>> safemode: Incomplete HDFS URI, no host: hdfs://server_1:8020
>>

>> Please advise where I am making the mistake?
>>
>> -Ravi
>>
>> On Wed, Sep 17, 2014 at 1:59 AM, Yusaku Sako <yusaku@hortonworks.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Ravi,
>>>
>>> What version of Ambari did you use, and how did you install the cluster?
>>> Not sure if this would help, but on small test clusters, you should
>>> define /etc/hosts on each machine, like so:
>>>
>>> 127.0.0.1 <localhost and other default entries>
>>> ::1 <localhost and other default entries>
>>> 192.168.64.101 host1.mycompany.com host1
>>> 192.168.64.102 host2.mycompany.com host2

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE