ambari-user mailing list archives

From Suraj Nayak <snay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Plugins Support to extend Apache Ambari Functionality
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2014 12:18:46 GMT
Thanks Jeff and Yusaku. The information was very helpful. I am trying add
support for Kafka in Ambari. Will keep asking questions if am stuck
anywhere.

--
Suraj Nayak

On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 5:30 PM, Jeff Sposetti <jeff@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Jeff,
>>
>> Thanks for the link and providing the information regarding Stack.
>>
>>    - Does extending a Stack and adding Custom Service is isolated from
>>    Ambari Core ? Or does it need a re build and re-deploy of Ambari ?
>>     - I saw the Confluence page which describes the structure of the
>>    stack in detail along with an example of *Implementing a Custom
>>    Client Service*. Am curious about the below code :
>>
>>         <scriptType>PYTHON</scriptType>
>>
>> Which are the other languages supported currently apart from Python ?
>>
>> --
>> Thanks
>> Suraj Nayak
>>
>> On Tuesday 08 July 2014 05:53 PM, Jeff Sposetti wrote:
>>
>>  For that, you'll want to look at extending a Stack and adding a Custom
>> Service. This allows you to define how to control install, configure,
>> start, stop of components of a Custom Service in the cluster. Once that
>> Service is in place, then you can use a View to execute the Ambari REST API
>> to perform the operations.
>>
>>  Checkout this wiki page for more info.
>>
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=38571133
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 8, 2014 at 4:10 AM, Suraj Nayak M <snayakm@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  Yusaku,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your answers. It saved lot of my time. Appreciate your help!
>>>
>>> Regarding the question *"Will I be able to install any custom agents
>>> via Plugins/View ?"* :
>>>
>>> Lets consider the use case of Kafka Broker monitoring in Server2 and
>>> Server3 while Ambari Server is running in Server1. This require agents to
>>> be installed *(let me know if this is not the right way. Any
>>> suggestions welcome)* in Server2 and Server3 for sending heartbeat
>>> information such as its health, statistics, etc., . Thus a custom agents
>>> need to be run on Server2 and Server3. Can I deploy these agents to Server2
>>> and Server3 via Custom View (From the Web UI by selecting Server2 and
>>> Server3 for agent Installation) ?
>>>
>>> Am trying to achieve the following:
>>>
>>>    - Admin should be easily deploy the custom agent on the servers in
>>>    the cluster and monitor the health of the custom process which is running
>>>    on those servers.
>>>     - Restart the failed process.
>>>    - Check the log files created by the process in the remote Server
>>>    from the web UI.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Suraj Nayak
>>>
>>> On Tuesday 08 July 2014 02:41 AM, Yusaku Sako wrote:
>>>
>>> Suraj,
>>>
>>> Please see my answers inline:
>>>

>>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:41 PM, Suraj Nayak M <snayakm@gmail.com> <snayakm@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>>  Yusaku,
>>>
>>> Thanks for sharing the link. This clarifies many of my doubts, especially regarding
deployment of Views.

>>> Just a couple of more questions :
>>>
>>> 1. Ambari uses EmberJS (correct me if wrong), will it support AngularJS plugin
development ? As AngularJS is also Client side MVC framework like EmberJS

>>>  You can use any client-side JS framework you'd like to develop new
>>> Views, including AngularJS.  Views are isolated from Ambari Web core
>>> (which is written in Ember.js)
>>>

>>>  2. Can I use HTTPS support ? I found Ambari Web supports HTTPS here.
>>>
>>>  Yes, Ambari Server (and Views) can be configured to use HTTPS.
>>>

>>>  3. Any limitations for plugin/view development that I should take care of? Like
below :

>>> Any stability issue (if any), as i see here in the documentation "This capability
is currently under development".

>>>  Yes, expect some level of changes as far as details go on the Views
>>> framework and API.
>>>

>>>  Will I be able to install any custom agents via Plugins/View ?
>>>
>>>  Can you clarify what you mean by this (and use cases)?
>>>

>>>  It is very early for me to ask the Question 3 as I have not done much findings
in that area. But am curious to know.

>>>  Yusaku
>>>

>>>  On Tuesday 08 July 2014 12:09 AM, Yusaku Sako wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Suraj,
>>>
>>> You might also want to take a look at http://www.slideshare.net/hortonworks/ambari-views-overview
for an overview of Ambari Views.

looking for https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/AMBARI/Views

>>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:08 PM, ÐΞ€ρ@Ҝ (๏̯͡๏) <deepujain@gmail.com>
<deepujain@gmail.com> wrote:

>>>  +1
>>> Kafka cluster or druid cluster or custom java processes
>>>

>>> On Mon, Jul 7, 2014 at 12:46 PM, Suraj Nayak M <snayakm@gmail.com> <snayakm@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>>  Hi Everyone,
>>>
>>> Does Apache Ambari support custom plugin development, by which one can extend
Ambari functionality ? Are there any custom plugins already out there ?

>>> Custom functionality might be following :
>>>
>>> Install, Monitor, Start, Stop and Restart of Custom Java processes (Example :
Kafka OR In-House Java Frameworks or tools which run on distributed mode)
>>> Creating custom UI to monitor the above added Custom Java Processes.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks & Regards
>>> Suraj Nayak M
>>>

>>>  --
>>> Deepak
>>>

>>>  --
>>> BR,
>>> Dmitry Sen
>>>
>>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure
or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

>>>   CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>> NOTICE: This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is confidential, privileged and exempt from
disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient,
you are hereby notified that any printing, copying, dissemination, distribution, disclosure
or forwarding of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete it from your system. Thank You.

>>> --
>>> Suraj Nayak
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>>

> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE