ambari-user mailing list archives

From Chris Tarnas <...@biotiquesystems.com>
Subject Bug in Ambari 1.5 and multi-homed hbase masters
Date Fri, 16 May 2014 22:02:50 GMT
Hello,

We need to add java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true to the HBASE_OPTS to overcome an old bug in Hadoop
and IPv6, how can we do that? It appears in /etc/hbase/conf/hbase-env.cmd but when you look
at the logs for the master startup, it is missing.

We need to tell the master what network interface to use via the hbase-site.xml option "hbase.master.dns.interface".
If you specify a specific interface with that and have IPv6 enabled this causes an java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
during master startup. It happens at org.apache.hadoop.net.DNS.reverseDns(DNS.java:78) when
it attempts to parse an IPv6 address as a IPv4. (I submitted a patch to the underlying parsing
issue via Cloudera two years ago but it appears to have not made it in.)

The work around is to set java.net.preferIPv4Stack=true in the HBASE_OPTS, so back to my original
question, how can I do that?

thank you,
-chris