ambari-user mailing list archives

From Jaimin Jetly <jai...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Overriding values in component configuration using the Ambari UI
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 18:28:54 GMT
Hi Chris,

In context to your first email regarding Ambari UI issue,
Ambari web-ui disables the save button whenever there is a validation error
for any property on a service config page. In that case you should also see
the invalidated property highlighted with red color as shown below in the
image. Please expand all the categories and check if any property is
invalidated.

[image: Inline image 1]

If Ambari UI is disabling the button with no validation error of any
property on the page then it's a bug and We will need more information to
debug the cause. To start with a screenshot of the yarn config page and
javascript console output in case if any JS  error is logged in the console
will be helpful.

In regards to your second email,
The API call that you mentioned should work and it's the correct way to
change configs at the cluster level. In addition to directly using API for
configuration changes, you can also use the shell script located at
/var/lib/ambari-server/resources/scripts/configs.sh path on ambari-server
host to add/override/delete a single property. The shell script in itself
uses the RESTful API in it's implementation but it's really useful while
overriding a single config property.

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM, Chris Mildebrandt
<chris@woodenrhino.com>wrote:

> Hi Sid,
>
> I'm actually setting the desired config. Here's an example of the REST
> call:
>
> curl -i -H 'X-Requested-By: xxx' -X PUT -d '{"Clusters":
> {"desired_config": {"tag": "custom1", "type": "yarn-site", "properties":
> {"yarn.scheduler.minimum-allocation-mb" : "7168"}}}}' --user admin:admin
> http://xxx:8080/api/v1/clusters/cl1
>
> Now, of course, I'd have all my YARN variables in here not just one. This
> is just an example to focus on the technique I'm using to change the
> property. This is the property I'm interested in changing. After running
> the above command, I then restart the required components to re-read the
> config.
>
> Am I doing this incorrectly? Thanks,
> -Chris
>

> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Siddharth Wagle <swagle@hortonworks.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris,
>>
>> Are you using Config groups to overrides configs as per the latest API
>> docs ?
>>

>> https://github.com/apache/ambari/blob/trunk/ambari-server/docs/api/v1/config-groups.md
>>
>> It is possible to do this using the Web UI too, using the Manage Config
>> Groups link on the Config page.
>> Could you please provide the name of the Service and property that you
>> are trying to override ?
>>
>> Best Regards,
>> Sid
>>

>> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Chris Mildebrandt <chris@woodenrhino.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've searched quite a bit, maybe I'm just not using the correct terms.
>>> I'm trying to override certain configuration values for YARN using the
>>> Ambari UI. Can someone please give a step-by-step method to do this? When I
>>> try to update the values, the save button stays disabled. I can get around
>>> this by using the REST APIs for now...but it would be nice to do this in
>>> the UI for quick changes.
>>>
>>> I'm using HDP 2.0.6 with Ambari 1.4.3.38-1.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Chris
>>>

>> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

-Thanks